Recipe creator Nasrin from Bhorta Bari has shared one of their favourite family recipes with us.
“This dal recipe is very popular in Bangladesh as breakfast. We have them with Paratha. It goes with everything like rice, roti, naan, bread, paratha etc. I only cook our authentic Bangladeshi recipes that I have learned from my mother and grandmother. They are unique.”
- 1 cup chana dal
- 1/2 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tbsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 cup fresh coriander
- 1 medium size onion, chopped
- 3-4 fresh green chilli
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- Wash the chana dal and soak for one hour.
- Now in a pan pour oil and fry the chopped onion until it turns light brown. Add the ginger garlic paste. Fry for a couple more minutes.
- Add a small amount of water. Now add the rest of the ingredients apart from the fresh coriander and green chilli. Cook for a few more minutes.
- Add the soaked chana dal. Cook for 10mins on a medium heat. Then add some water and put the lid on. Move to a low heat and cook for half an hour.
- Now check to see if the lentils are soft. Add fresh coriander and chillies.
- Serve with roti, plain rice or naan.