Another recipe favourite from Bhorta Bari. Mung beans are rich in vitamins and minerals as is okra. Both are very popular in Bangladesh.
- 1 cup mung dal
- 6 fresh okra, cut in half lengthways
- 1 medium size onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaves
- 3 whole black pepper
- 2 cloves
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1/4 tsp whole cumin
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/3 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/3 tsp coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- Fresh coriander to garnish (optional)
- Fry the mung daal in a frying pan without oil for 1-2 minutes. Make sure they don’t burn. Now wash the daal with warm water.
- Heat up the pan and pour oil. Add onion and garlic and fry for a few minutes.
- Now add all the spices. Cook for five minutes.
- Now add the mung daal. Cook for ten minutes on a medium heat. Add 1 cup of water.
- Now in a different frying pan pour 1/2 tsp oil. Fry the okra for few minutes. Then add the fried okra to the dal. Cook for 10-15 minutes on a low heat.
- Serve with naan, paratha or plain rice.