- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Thumb length ginger, grated
- 350g beetroot, trimmed and clean, 1cm dice
- 250g red split lentils, washed
- 900ml water
- 150ml passata (or handful of tomatoes)
- 1 ½ tbsp garam masala
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- 25g coconut cream, grated
- oil or ghee
- Optional extras
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 green chilli
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of oil or ghee to a large pan and add the onion.
- Cook on a medium heat for 5-8 minutes until the onion has softened.
- Add the garlic and ginger. Cook for a couple of minutes, stirring all together.
- Add the garam masala and stir briefly to release the aromas. Add the chopped beetroot, passata (or tomatoes if using), the lentils and 800ml of water.
- Stir, bring to the boil and simmer on a medium heat with the lid half on/off for around 25 minutes.
- Add a little more water if the dal starts to dry out. When the beetroot is cooked and the lentils are soft, it is ready. Season with the salt and pepper and add the grated coconut cream and stir. Taste the dal, adjust the seasoning to taste.
- In a frying pan, add a 1-2 tablespoons of ghee or oil. Get it hot and add the cumin seeds and chill and fry for 2-3 minutes. Add this to the dal and stir it through.
- Serve the dal with a chapati or bread of your choice and enjoy!