Lisa @_fussfreefoodie also shared this delicious recipe over on our Instagram feed earlier in the week. Sounds delicious!
- 300g red split lentils, washed and drained
- 1.5 tbsp cooking oil, coconut oil or ghee
- 1 litre of water
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or finely chopped
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger (leave the skin on)
- 1 tomato, chopped or 100ml passat
- ½ tsp. dried red chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 0.5 tsp ground cumin
- 0.5 tsp ground cinnamon
- salt & pepper
- In a medium pan, add the oil and then the onion, Soften on a medium heat for 5-8 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger to the pan and cook for 2-2 minutes.
- Add the curry powder, coriander, turmeric, cumin, cinnamon and dried red chilli flakes . Stir for about 30 seconds.
- Add the tomato, lentils and 800ml of the water stir until all completely mixed together.
- Season generously salt and pepper.
- Optional extra: In a frying pan, add 1-2 tablespoons of oil and get very hot. (Take care!)
- Add a handful of curry leaves, teaspoon of mustard seeds, caraway seeds and a sliced red chilli. Fry for a couple of minutes and then pour over the dal and stir through before serving.