This mouth-watering recipe for a Lebanese lemony butter bean stew is from chef Radhikah of Radikal Kitchen and can also be viewed on her Youtube channel.
- Butter beans – 2 cans, rinsed
- Onions – 2 , finely chopped
- Garlic – 8-10 cloves , grated
- Tomatoes – 3 large, blanched or ½ can tinned tomatoes
- Olive oil- to cook
- Red chillies whole – 2-3
- Zatar – 2 tsp
- Sumac- 1 tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Green olives – 6-8 sliced
- Preserved lemon – 1 – 2 , chopped
- Water – 3 cups
- Parsley chopped for garnish
- Heat the oil in a cooking pot, add the whole red chillies, add the onions and garlic, saute until golden brown
- Now add the blanched tomatoes or the tinned ones. Cook for 10 min on low heat.
- Add the herbs, butter beans and salt. Add 1 cup water, bring to boil, then cover and cook on low heat for 5-7 min. Add more water if you find it is too thick.
- Now add the chopped preserved lemon, chopped olives and the remaining water and simmer for 10 min.
- The gravy should be thick.
- Garnish with chopped parsley