This recipe for a warming Moroccan chickpea stew is both comforting and your daily dose of vegetables, all in one dish.
Fresh baby spinach and chickpeas, slow-cooked with ginger, garlic, and onion with tomatoes and warm spices, finished off with a healthy dash of lemon.
- 5 tbs olive oil
- 2 onions sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped ginger
- 1 tbs garlic paste
- 1 “ cinnamon stick
- 3-4 pepper corns
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 2 red dry chillies – optional
- 250 gm spinach leaves, washed and coarsely chopped
- 1 veg stock cube
- ½ can tomatoes
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp harissa paste
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Ready fried onions – 2 tbs for garnish
- ½ tsp ginger slivers, for garnish
- Salt to taste
- In a wide saucepan, heat the olive oil, add the red chillies and whole spices , then add the sliced onions and fry the onion in for 5 minutes or until the onion is softened, stirring occasionally.
- dd ginger, garlic paste and cook on medium heat for 5 min.
- Now add the tomatoes, cook for 5 min.
- Add the spices, and salt.
- Dissolve the stock cube in one cup of water. Add to the mix.
- Add the chopped spinach. Mix well, simmer on low heat for 20 minutes.
- Add the harissa paste ; add more water and cook for another 10 min.
- Add the ginger slivers.
- Finally squeeze the lemon juice and sprinkle the fried onions on top.